Care and maintenance of Japanese kitchen knives
Japanese kitchen knives requires some attention. It's crucial to pay attention to the following points.
• Always use the appropriate knife for the task.
• Refrain from moving the knife in a lateral direction while cutting. Use the thrust-cutting technique.
• Avoid bones and frozen food.
• Always use a wooden or rubbing cutting board. Avoid hard plastic, glass, or marble.
• Wash and dry the blade as soon as you're done with it especially carbon steel knives.
• Always wash your Japanese kitchen knife by hand. Never use a dishwasher.
• Use sharpening whetstones to sharpen or touch up your Japanese knife. In general, honing rods are not recommended as using these will cause damage to the edge. Honing rods are for western knives. Electric sharpeners and pull through sharpeners should never be used on Japanese kitchen knives.